Union Church, our local United Church located in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.
Protestant church services had been happening in Ste Anne de Bellevue since the 1860s but it wasn’t until Macdonald College was built, in 1907, including a College of Teachers graduates of which would be responsible for teaching in protestant schools throughout Quebec that a serious need for a permanent church with a place for teaching religious instruction became a priority. In the years prior to the construction of a church building, services were held in the Assembly Hall of the College. At one of these services, entitled “Mastery for Service”,Macdonald College Principal Robertson was so inspired, and through him Sir William Macdonald, that the sermon title became the College motto.
In the summer of 1913, Union Church opened its doors. The original building, Adair Hall, was constructed with the expectation that a ‘real’ church would be built in the near future. However, two world wars and the Depression intervened and the actual church was not built for another 35 years. The United Church of Canada did not exist in 1913 (which is why ‘United’ is NOT part of the church’s name).
Thus a minister from each of the founding denominations (Methodist, Presbyterian,and Congregationalist) served in rotation.